Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Weekend in the woods PT 3

After falling on my ass at the top of Springer Mountain, I started back on the nearly ten mile trip to my car. I had no intentions of making it that evening, but I wanted to get close. I was beating myself up pretty bad at this point because the whole situation was avoidable. Never take untested gear into the field. This has become my wilderness mantra. As much as I can now, I test my gear at home. Especially if it is homemade. But I digress. The Appalachian trail is littered with shelters maintained by enthusiasts and volunteers, the one at the base of Springer was pretty nice. Unfortunately I don't care too much for people so I passed up staying there for the night. I made it about halfway back to where I started before finally calling it a night. I set up camp on top of an unnamed (as far as I was aware) hill and prepared dinner. Instant mashed potatoes, pasta, and tuna. It wasn't great, but after 14ish miles, it was what I needed.

The wind was howling and I began to become concerned with an issue I was expecting to face, but didn't want to think about. Unlike ground camping, when you are suspended in a hammock, there is nothing under you to insulate and help maintain body heat. Even a slight wind will roll by and strip your body of all its warmth in no time. This phenomenon is something I had experienced a lot in my yard, and hadn't really came up with a solution for...especially since I just decided on a whim to go do this. It had been in the 40s back home and with my 40 degree sleeping bag and zero insulation under me, I had been regularly waking up shivering. Now that I was in the mountains, I knew it would be worse.

I wrestled with the idea of setting up the tarp to help block the wind, but of course, the wind had no bearing. It was literally swirling around my campsite. I decided that there was nothing I could do about the wind and made the executive decision to use the tarp as a barrier between my butt and my hammock. It did not look like rain, but I have been wrong before. Eventually the sun started to set, it continued to get colder and It was time for me to crawl into bed. I took my food bag and tied it off in a tree like I had read to do. After seeing bear poop along the trail, I wanted to keep the smell of tuna far from where I would be sleeping.

Throughout the night, the wind never really died down, it came in gusts, and it made the lose parts of my hammock flap. Unfortunately based on the design, a big chunk of fabric next to my head would rustle with the slightest breeze. All I heard was a bear exhaling in my ear all night. Of course, with this being my first solo camping experience and having recently watching The Revenant, it kept me spooked all night. Needless to say, between the idea of an imminent mauling and sliding about on a tarp in a breezy hammock, I slept pretty poorly. I didn't die of hypothermia and I wasn't ravished by a bear. The sun came up, I packed my stuff and made it the rest of the way to my car.

The lesson I learned from this experience was a great one. I had been putting off this trip for over a year, and for what? I didn't have the best gear in the world, but I made what I had work. I didn't have to wait for my schedule to line up with anybody else's, I went alone. I guess the point of it all, is that the things that were keeping me from my dreams were all self imposed. I pulled the trigger that day, went out and made it happen instead of sitting at home and complaining that this wasn't right or I need this to do that. I stopped making excuses and am better off for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment