Saturday, June 17, 2017

3 Day weekend PT 2

Every time the terrain changed or I came to a valley I expected to find water. Like a man stranded in the dessert, every rustle of the wind sounded like a babbling brook. It wasn't until I was so near the point of failure that I was looking for an adequate spot to sleep that the trees finally gave way and the sound of Justus Creek was undeniable. It is a bit of a descent to the creek as it is in a valley. As I was coming down one side a pair of guys were coming down the other. We talked about the trail and the day as we refilled our water and they informed me that there was room at their site just a quarter mile up the hill for my hammock.

I was beat and as soon as my hammock was hung I started on dinner. Mashed potatoes, dehydrated veggies, and ground up jerky make for a surprisingly filling meal. While I was eating, two more people showed up, also in hammocks, but clearly unprepared. Each of them were armed with an ENO hammock and a 5x5 tarp. Together with a hank of cordage and a box of bungies, they managed to string together the most ridiculous sleeping system I have ever seen. I wish I had taken pictures, but I didn't want to be rude. All I can say is that they are lucky it didn't rain. I hung my bear bag with the others down by the water, crawled into the hammock and started dozing off. That was until another kid came into the camp site asking whose bear bag was black and hung on yellow rope. Of course, it was mine.

I get out of the hammock and greet the dude, who informed me that in the process of hanging his bag, he broke the branch mine was on and now it was on the ground. Seeing that my bag is by the water, about a quarter mile away, and by now the sun had set, going out to re hang it was not high on my list of shit I had wanted to do. But it had to be done. On our walk, the kid informed me that he was from New York and he took 30 days off to see how much of the trail he could cover. I envy the people that can drop everything and go fulfill a dream, even if it is only 30 days.

I got into the hammock again for what I could only hope would be the last time and immediately fell asleep. It didn't rain that night, I had my tarp up anyhow. I wish it was clear so I could see the stars. Maybe tomorrow I wont use it. At the start of the “season” I had told myself that I was going to hike the entire Georgia section of the Appalachian Trail this summer. Every step I took was putting me closer to achieving that.

No comments:

Post a Comment