Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Gearing up

After returning from Springer, I was hooked. I already was hooked with hammock yard sleeping, but now hammock camping was solidified on the list of interests. I knew that itch was there and running out into the woods with as little as I had was all the justification I needed to get scratch it. Having been into hammocks for over a year at this point I went ahead and purchased the camping hammock of my dreams. The Warbonnet Blackbird. Now I know you guys at home cant hear it, but when I think of the Warbonnet BB I hear the sound the pearly gates make when opened. You know the sound. I've gotta say, I am beyond please with my Warbonnet and could (and probably will) write a whole page on why it is better than the rest. I also got an insulated inflatable sleeping pad to help with heat retention. It is not the best tool for the job, but the specialized hammock under quilts are just out of the question at this point.

Now with some new gear and a couple miles under my belt I was ready to make a plan to get back on the mountain. I spent the next week and a half thinking about the next trip. Where was the water? How much food will I need? Where would I make camp? These were some of the questions I had to answer if I wanted the trip to be as successful as possible. I called up a friend to see if he would be interested in joining me, he said he was, so I planned the trip. 2 days, starting at Amicalola Falls and finishing at a road crossing 19.5 miles later. Using other peoples guides and different maps, the plan was set. A few days before the hike he had to back out because of work. Rather than letting his schedule dictate mine and canceling the trip, I instead took Friday off and turned it into a 3 day weekend on the AT.

No comments:

Post a Comment