Monday, June 12, 2017

Weekend in the woods PT 2

So, let me set the stage for this hike. It is the warm-up hike taking you to the Southern Terminus of the daunting 2k+ mile trip north that thousands of people set off to take on annually. I cannot speak for the rest of the trail, but this section is tough. Georgia doesn't have massive mountains like the west coast, we just have rolling hills. Lots of them. Springer mountain is about 8 miles from the top of the falls and only about 1500 feet higher. Sounds easy right? Its not. The hills are killer. That 1500 feet of elevation gain is coupled with a multitude of 500-1000 foot hills that you have to conquer first. Without trekking poles or any clue as to what I was doing, it was tough. I hiked for a a few hours playing leapfrog with a few groups, none larger than 5. Myself, being the introvert I am, gave a half hearted greeting and carried on my way. Eventually I came across a hill that really made me question what I was doing out here. I dubbed that hill “Strong Quads and Trekking Poles” as you would need both to summit it comfortably. I had neither.

Shortly after said hill I stopped for lunch. Spoke with a young family who was out on an overnighter like me. I said I would see them at Springer and carried on. I played leap frog with a few groups again for the next couple hours until I made it to my final hill. Springer Mountain. Atop that hill was where I planned to sleep for the night. With the idea that I was almost finished I put my head down and took on the beast. The 1000 feet of elevation in under a mile was as expected. Daunting. My legs were throbbing from being worked harder than they had in recent history as I kept on. I made it to the top. I dropped my pack and enjoyed the view for a few minutes. I was not alone at the peak. About a dozen folks where chilling in hammocks or sitting on logs, all of them in their little groups. I found two trees that were adequately spaced and strung up my hammock.

Just a quick primer on my hammock and sleeping system in general. My hammock was made from a banquet tablecloth. Taffeta nylon to be specific. My homemade hammock was fastened to the tree with straps cut from tie downs (more on that later) and in the case of rain, I had a 8x10 tarp from wally world. Anyhow. I had tested all of my gear in the yard. I have trees that are great for hanging between, They are however on the small side as far as diameter is concerned. Expecting the trees on the trail to be thicker, I made a new tree strap from a different strap than the ones I had been using in the yard. Now that we are caught up. Back to the mountain.

I was hanging in my hammock, enjoying the view and coming to grips with what I had just accomplished. Yes it was a minor accomplishment perhaps, but a win is a win. Suddenly and violently my new hammock strap snaps and I plummet to earth. Luckily I learned enough from the hammock forums that there are two rules to hammocking. 1. you will fall and 2. never hang higher than you are willing to fall. I wasn't but 2 feet off the ground, but I for sure landed hard on my back, and with a busted sleep system and a bruised ego, I packed up and headed down the mountain. Looking back, I knew at the time that I would be fine and I could have stayed and slept atop Springer Mountain as planned, but my pride hurt and I don't care too much for crowds.

No comments:

Post a Comment