Saturday, June 17, 2017

3 Day weekend PT 3

Since I had pushed through to Justus the day prior, I was less than two miles from what my intended second day stop was going to be. I knew immediately that the plans were going to change and I would end up hiking much further than anticipated. After eating breakfast and drinking my coffee I hit the trail. That had been my first night in the field in the Warbonnet and unfortunately, I didn't sleep so well. I think I hung my head too low because my feet kept going numb. It was odd. Definitely not the hammocks fault, but something that I would need to address tonight.

It was about 5 miles before I came across a road crossing and a good place to take a break. Gooch Gap. I spoke with a dude who had just pulled in and he had informed me that the road in was less than a mile of non paved road. I made note that this place would be excellent for the family. The water source was plentiful and there were a ton of clearings for tents. Also my car wouldn't get thrashed coming in. I passed a dude in Army issued boots while he was complaining of foot issues. I was wearing trail runners, no problems yet. The next 3 miles were pretty much all uphill, so I just shifted the load on my pack and hit it.

I passed what looked to be a boy-scout troop and unfortunately they had yet to be taught that uphill hikers have the right away. Its a lot harder to regain momentum going up than it is going down. I did meet an older couple and their dog Mitsy. As I came up on them the gentleman said “Mitsy, hiker” and Mitsy hastily got of the trail and sat down. It was very cool. After I passed, she returned to the trail and kept heading downhill. 

With every hill that I summited I would take a photo of the view. Cameras cannot take in the beauty nor do justice to the rolling hills. To this point there had always been something man made in the picture. I knew I wouldn't be happy until I was truly free of civilization and I hoped the next peak would be void of buildings or roads. Suches Georgia would not fail me for Preacher Rock atop Big Cedar Mountain provided me with a breathtaking view completely absent of man made obstruction.

This is a big picture. Click it to fully enjoy the beauty of Big Cedar mountain


No comments:

Post a Comment