Monday, June 19, 2017

3 Day weekend PT 4

I stood atop Preacher Rock for nearly an hour taking in the view and thinking about the importance of stepping away from society and technology. This was the first time in two days of hill climbing that I couldn’t spot the influence of man for as far as the eye could see.  It was a wonderful, yet fleeting experience as a group of hikers had just began to summit, and with that, I was on my way.
 
The next few hours seemed to drag on longer than usual. The terrain was nicely varied, breathtaking at times, monotonous at others, but there really is something to be said for human interaction. After all, we did evolve as social creatures. Trailside depression was something I have come to realize exists and I have yet figured out how to deal with it. As I kept on pounding out the miles I got close to the wall again. The distance between water sources on this stretch of trail is weird. You will run into patches where there is water every half a mile and then there will be a dry section that’s 8 miles long. My choices on this were to hike 6 miles, 14 miles, or somewhere between there without water. I personally only carry two liters of water, and with rationing I like to be close to empty by the time I’m afforded an opportunity to refill.  So, today was a 14 mile day. I slept next to water but soon would realize it didn’t really matter. 

I made camp at Woods Hole alongside a boyscout troop. I hung my hammock on the edge of the site and got in and out a few times making adjustments to my suspension until it was perfectly dialed in. This was something I didn’t do the night prior and am willing to bet that that lead to my poor night’s sleep. Dinner was alfredo with salmon which was not hateful at all. As I was kicking back and drinking my hot chocolate watching the troops try to decide who was going to spark the campfire and who was allowed to hold the knife, I felt comfort in their presence. My son, being 5, is coming up on the time where I’d like to get him out camping I’ve dragged my feet all spring and I really need to prioritize it or else it will never happen. There were a dozen kids here, all 12-13 years old, and watching them work together to do stuff like cook, and hang bear bags, was entertaining to me. As I finished up my cocoa I looked at the clouds. Having had looked at the weather before my trip I knew there was a small chance of rain, but it hadn’t rained last night and I was hoping it wouldn’t tonight. I hung my ridgeline anyhow to aid in rapid tarp deployment if it started in the middle of the night.

Again, the sun began to set and I crawled into the hammock. Exhausted from the day and still really hot, I could not stop sweating. It was pretty warm yet and with the lack of a breeze, it wasn’t getting any cooler. That was until the rain came. 

At first it was a couple drops; just enough to encourage me to hang my tarp. I hung it high as it was hardly raining and I didn’t want to trap in heat. As soon as I got back in the hammock, all hell broke loose. Massive water drops slammed into the tarp as thunder roared through the canyons. It wasn’t quite dark yet, but the lightning was clear as day. The wind began to come in sideways and I heard the boyscouts running around hollering to one another trying to get in their tents before they got soaked. I hopped out and dropped my tarp down closer to the hammock. Storm mode is what I call it, and storm mode is exactly what was needed. Rain water rushed beneath me as if I had hung over a river. It came from all angles and thrashed my tarp about, really testing my knot tying skills. It continued like this for at least half an hour, and I couldn’t help but think of the two guys I had met the day prior.  When it finally let up, we all emerged from our shelters to evaluate the damage. 


A pair of kids whom had left vents open and another that had set up downhill got totally soaked. Through trial and error, meticulous research and a bit of luck, I was completely dry. After the excitement around camp wore off and the kids simmered down, I crawled back in the hammock and went to sleep. Tomorrow was a big day. I would be summiting Blood Mountain, the highest peak my state had to offer along the Appalachian Trail, where my wife and kid would be waiting to pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment